Sparx feels it's important to keep parents/carers informed of their child's progress. Below we answer the main questions you might have about parent emails.
The following article applies to parents/carers whose email addresses have been added to Sparx first. If your school uses an MIS integration then these will be added automatically.
If not then you will need to add these email addresses either as part of the CSV upload process or manually on the Student Manager page.
Find out more here: How are parent and carer email addresses added to Sparx?
What information is emailed to parents and carers by Sparx?
- Parents and carers are sent an email each week automatically
- They receive emails if homework is set to Compulsory. They will not receive emails if the homework is either turned off or set to Optional Only.
Compulsory Homework email:
Parent emails have 2 main sections:
- This week's homework: This shows the student's current progress with this homework and suggests an action for the parent to encourage their child. The progress with either be:
- Student hasn't started their homework
- Student has completed x% of their homework
- Student has completed their Compulsory homework
- Student has completed their Compulsory, XP Boost and Target homework
- Previous homework: This section shows the student's progress with the homework that was most recently due in, including whether or not the homework was late. Clicking the link will take the parent to Parent Portal, which will show more detail on the homework completion data.
Note: The links to Parent Portal are only available for 1 week after the homework assignment hand-in date.
For schools with MIS integrations: emails will be sent to parents/carers who are tagged as having Parental responsibility and Priority 1
When are parent emails sent?
Parent emails are sent at 4:30pm three days before a Compulsory homework is due in. They are not sent when a homework is Optional Only.
If the length of time between homework hand-out and homework hand-in is either two or three days, then the emails will be sent the day after the homework is set. If the due date is the day after the homework has been set, then the email will be sent the same day.
Example 1: If a school has homework hand-out on Monday and hand-in the following Monday, then the parent emails will be sent at 4:30pm on Friday.
Example 2: If a school has homework hand-out on Monday and hand-in on Wednesday, then the parent emails will be sent at 4:30pm on Tuesday.
Parents will not receive Sparx emails when homework has been switched off (for example in school holidays).
What happens when parents and carers reply to emails sent by Sparx?
Any replies to emails sent by Sparx to parents will be forwarded automatically to the teacher(s) of the class to which the student belongs. This is provided that at least one teacher in the class have "Send teacher emails?" marked as "Yes" (as shown below).
However, if there are no teachers in the class which have "Send teacher emails?" marked as "Yes", then the reply will instead be forwarded to the Sparx Leader. Sparx Leaders can contact email@example.com if they want to share any parental feedback or to nominate an alternative recipient.
How do parents and carers subscribe, unsubscribe, or resubscribe to emails?
- The weekly parent emails are sent if one or more parents/carers are listed as having parental responsibility and having priority level 1 in your school’s Management Information System (MIS). Once this is done, they will be synced with our system and will start to receive weekly notification emails when the next homework goes out.
- We feel that parental engagement is really important, however, if a parent or carer does not want to receive these messages, then they can use the link ‘Update your email preferences’ at the bottom of the email to manage their subscription.
- If you have an exceptional circumstance, e.g. a safeguarding concern, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
- If you have a parent or carer who has previously unsubscribed but wants to start receiving emails again, then please contact us and we will restart these emails for them.