Find out what you need to do to prepare for a new academic year.
NEW We've made some changes to how you set up your Sparx site, giving you more flexibility and control over how Sparx works for your school. We've also created some new resources to use with students and parents.
Please look out for the NEW sign in the checklist items below for details of these changes.
✅ Add your holiday dates - NEW
Add your school holiday dates to your site to help you build your schemes of learning and to decide when you want to switch homework on or off:
Homework will now be set every week of the year unless you choose for it not to be. To find out how to STOP homework going out during your school holidays watch our How to build Schemes of Learning video below.
✅ Prepare your Schemes of Learning
- Choose whether to make SoLs from a template, create a completely new one, or copy them from your Archive (this is where you will find schemes from last year).
- NEW: If you do not want homework to be set then choose No homework for the relevant weeks in the Scheme of Learning builder before you publish them.
Use the following resources to prepare your schemes of learning.
✅ Add new staff members to your Sparx site
If new staff have joined at the beginning of a new academic year (or indeed any time of year) you will need to add them to your Sparx site. Find out how to do this here:
✅ Set up your classes and students
Please note: we have removed the option to set a Diagnostic first homework to ensure that students get the teacher planned topics from the first week of homework.
For Schools with an MIS sync
1. Import your classes - NEW
You will now need to import your own classes into your site. Find out how to do this here:
2. Finish setting up your classes and turn on homework
Once you have imported your classes you will need to finish setting them up:
For schools without an MIS sync
You will need to:
1. Remove old students from your site - NEW
2. Create your classes
3. Move existing students to their new classes
5. Add any new students to your site.
6. Finish setting up classes.
Find out how in these resources:
✅ Train any new staff
If you have new staff then we highly recommend you set aside plenty of time to train your team. We have a training video to help you train and we also run webinars throughout the year that you can attend for free.
Find out more below:
✅ Introduce students to Sparx and get them logged in
Note: Once a homework is set it can't be deleted so make sure students are ready to go before you turn homework on.
- Introduce Students to Sparx using this video: Sparx Homework for Students NEW
- Show them how to log in with this video: How students log in
- Once students have logged in get them to use our new Practice Homework feature, which they will find on the left-hand side of their dashboard, to have a go at doing some practice homework.
- If students are not able to setup their account in school, give students a copy of this PDF to take home: Student guide to logging in
✅ Plan communication for both existing and new parents and carers
NEW We have created a Parent Video that you can share with parents explaining what Sparx is and how it will help their child improve their maths.
It includes the following key messages:
- That Sparx homework is personalised to their child and should offer them just the right level of challenge based on the topics that their teacher has set, meaning they can answer 100% of the compulsory questions correctly.
- That parents and carers should not answer questions for their child as that could make the homework become too hard
We also have further resources for parents in: Documents for parents
✅ Reintroduce SLT to Sparx
Sparx works best when it has a high profile in school because it helps to demonstrate to students that this is work with value and therefore worth doing regularly and well. We've heard from schools that use Sparx that working alongside the leadership team is vital in embedding the use of Sparx within your department. Here are some of the ways your SLT could support your work:
- Joining with the maths department in the belief that every student can get 100% of their answers correct because of Sparx personalisation
- Supporting the HoD in picking the best hand in and hand out days
- Hosting assemblies and rewards ceremonies for individuals and classes
- Helping to offer after school clubs with devices for students to use
✅ Plan motivation and monitoring strategies
How will you link Sparx with your school reward policy?
Research shows that using Sparx actively for an hour each week will improve progress in maths. Sparx schools have come up with a range of methods to help motivate students to complete 100% of their homework each week which we have summarised in this article: Motivating students to complete homework on time
How will you monitor homework completion?
Our Homework report can be used to view and analyse data on homework completion to aid you in tracking how students are doing and to identify students and groups that would benefit from extra support. You can find out more about the data available in the following articles:
✅ Choose the best homework hand in and hand out days
We recommend setting your homework hand out and hand in day to be towards the end of the week. Doing so means that there is plenty of time at the start of the week for teachers to look at the hand-in page to see which students can be praised and rewarded for completing their work early, and which students need a reminder to complete their work on time.
✅ Look out for updates
We are always improving Sparx based on your feedback and this means we often have new information to share with you. Look out for updates in the What's new section at the top of the screen when you are logged in to Sparx: